A nation with a well functioning decentralised local
government system that delivers improved services to the people, promotes
people’s participation in development and provides the enabling environment for
and poverty reduction.
To promote, deepen and consolidate a sustainable and effective system of
local governance for improved service delivery and enhanced quality of life.
1. To support and strengthen
councils in the provision of quality services to the nation through a well
defined policy framework and adherence to laws and regulations [Local
Government]. 2. To monitor operations of
councils in relation to their powers, functions, duties, service delivery
standards and general performance [Local Government]
3. To promote effective and sustainable land management and administration,
rural and urban development in Lesotho as provided for under relevant
legislation and national policies. [Land]
4. To facilitate the delivery of affordable quality houses to Basotho within
properly planned settlements. [Housing]
5. To support a service – oriented Chieftainship institution that is adaptive to
the decentralisation and local governance. [Chieftainship].
6. To contribute towards prevention, treatment and mitigating the impact of HIV
and AIDS [Cross Cutting]
7. To ensure adequate human and institutional capacity for policy formulation
and decentralised planning and implementation [Cross Cutting]