The Ministry of Defence and National Security upholds the Vision that by the year 2020 Lesotho shall be a stable democracy, a united and prosperous nation at peace with itself and its neighbours.
COMPOSITION OF THE MINISTRY
The Ministry is composed of three programmes i.e. Administration, Lesotho Defence Force and National Security Service.
MISSION STATEMENT OF ADMINISTRATION
The Mission of Administration is to uphold the notion of civil control of the military and security service. In so doing, it will ensue that there is Separation of Power, Legality, Accountability, Transparency and Availability of necessary resources.
THE ROLE OF ADMINISTRATION
- It provides the Government with support to manage the Lesotho Defence Force and the National Security.
- It ensures that the Lesotho Defence Force and the National Security Service have the necessary resources at their disposal to meet the commitments placed on them by the Government.
- It is involved in the restructuring of both the Lesotho Defence Force and the National Security Service.
- It provides the support function in making the Lesotho Defence Force and the National Security Service accountable and transparent to the public through Parliament.
MISSION STATEMENT OF THE LESOTHO DEFENCE FORCE
The Mission of the Lesotho Defence Force is to protect the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Lesotho and uphold the Constitution of Lesotho.
THE ROLE OF LESOTHO DEFENCE FORCE
The primary role of the Lesotho Defence Force is to protect the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Lesotho. The secondary role includes the following:
- Assistance in the preservation of life, health and property.
- Provision and maintenance of essential services.
- Upholding law and order in support of the police as directed by Government.
- Support to State Departments as directed by Government.
- Compliance with international obligations like peacekeeping support operations and regional military cooperation.
MISSION STATEMENT OF THE NATIONAL SECURITY SERVICE
The Mission of the National Security Service is to promote and maintain the highest standards of state security and stability in the national interest. The Service will be an outstanding intelligence service, apolitical and aligned to regional and international trends whilst not sacrificing basic national trends.
THE ROLE OF THE NATIONAL SECURITY SERVICE
The role of the National Security Service is spelled out in the National Security Service Act of 1998; Section 5, sub-section 2 as being to;
- protect the State against threats of espionage, terrorism or sabotage which may infringe on national security;
- protect the State from activities of agents of foreign powers and from actions of persons intended to overthrow or undermine democracy by political, industrial or violent means;
- protect the economic well being of the State against threats posed by the actions or intentions of persons inside or outside Lesotho; and
- protect the State against any activity that may tend to operate to undermine national security.
THE MINISTER’S OFFICE
|Names:||Hon. Tefo Mapesela||
|Position:||Minister of Defence and National Security|
|Contact Person:||Sebili Naha (Mr)|
|Address:||Private Bag A166|
THE PRINCIPAL SECRETARY’S OFFICE
|Names:||Tšeliso Mokoko (Mr)|
|Position:||Principal Secretary for the Ministry of Defence and National Security|
|Contact Person:||Maatang Mohami (Mrs)|
|Address:||Private Bag A166|
THE MINISTRY CONTACT DETAILS
|Senoir Information Officer:||Ms Polo Lerotholi|
|Address:||Ministry of Defence and National Security
Along Kingsway, Opposite National Library
|Phone:||+266 22326651 ext. 220|