Basotho shall be a functionally literate society with well-grounded moral and ethical values; adequate social, scientific and technical knowledge and skills by the year 2020.
To develop and implement policies which ensure acquisition of functional literacy among all Basotho and development of a productive, quality human resource base through education and training.
- To improve access, efficiency and equity of education and training at all levels.
- To improve the quality of education and training.
- To ensure that curricula and materials are relevant to the needs of Lesotho, are consonant with the appropriate standards and gender responsive.
- To ensure that both vocational-technical and non-formal education programs respond to the needs of industry and the communities in general.
- To develop and implement a common system of regular collection and reporting of information on the current status and future demand and supply, and on priority educational areas in the country.
- To progressively achieve the equivalence, harmonization and standardization of the education and training systems nationally, regionally and internationally.
- To effectively participate in regional and international educational sector development initiatives.
- To promote gender equality and ensure empowerment disadvantaged groups.
- Address the challenges posed by HIV and AIDS in education and training.